Restaurant and Coffee Shop, Inc. formerly Grant's Cafe has been
in business in Durham, NH for 89 years. In 1916, Jack Grant opened
a small café in the lower portion of the Pette Block to
cater to the townsfolk and to the students attending the New Hampshire
College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. In 1919-1920 he
purchased a lot of land on Main Street and build a small restaurant,
just big enough for one counter.
As business grew, the restaurant building changed to accommodate
customer demand. By 1936, the building had been enlarged and the
restaurant served meals three times a day.
The Grant's ran this restaurant for 52 years before turning it
over in 1968 to Dick and Annette Young of Dover, NH. Wishing to
carry on their business name started in Dover in 1956, Grant's
Cafe became Young's Restaurant and Coffee Shop of Durham.
Dick and Annette continued the tradition of fine foods and good
service at reasonable prices until they retired in 1990.
Since then their son Ken and his wife Cathy have continued this
great tradition of serving the 'Best Breakfast in Town' and upscale
lunches at reasonable prices.
UNH alumni visit the restaurant every year their family and friends
to reminisce about the 'good old days' on campus and downtown
Durham. The framed photographs of historic locations hanging on
the restaurant walls are always of interest to visitors.
Together with our fine employees we strive for a friendly atmosphere
where student, 'Townie', and stranger come together daily to eat
It is a pleasure to welcome you to Young's Restaurant and Durham,